Wednesday, September 28, 2011

2001: A Space Odyssey by Ben Rohrbaugh

2001: A Space Odyssey. Mankind finds a mysterious, obviously artificial, artifact buried on the moon and, with the intelligent computer HAL, sets off on a quest.

Okay so let me start off by saying that this might have been the worst movie I have ever seen (and I’ve seen “Gone With the Wind”). There was no story, no sense of urgency, and worst of all, it’s praised as a great classic! Whats up with that.
So lets start with the story, it was an okay plot but the beginning and end of the movie made no sense at all, and why was the first minute and a half of the movie a black screen with annoying music?
My second problem was with the editing, I could’ve cut it together and taken less the half the time, and still gotten the same information across. I honestly cannot see any reason this movie should be called a classic, let alone exist, it is so absolutely terrible every single copy should be destroyed so that no one in the world has to see this pile of horse crap ever again. I have absolutely no idea as to how it could be on this list, in short I hated it with every fiber of my being.

2 comments:

  1. U mad Bro?
    ....
    But in all seriousness I feel you are overreacting. For one thing; this is a Stanley Kubrick film, what do you expect. While the movie was quite slow and dragged on for a while, there were still interesting at some points. I enjoyed the conversations with HAL and the human characters, and somehow I was able to watch the light speed thing (drug trip) in one go. But yes it probably doesn't deserve the amount of credit it gets now, it was a big spectacle back in 1968 because it did things never seen before. In my opinion it was an OK movie, 2.5/5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. U mad Bro?
    ...
    But in all seriousness I feel you are overreacting. While it wasn't as good of a movie as the people back in 1968 might have seen, it still had some entertainment. Yes the "dawn of man" stuff lasted too long, and I have no clue what was up with the "light speed" (drug trip) It's a Stanley Kubrick movie, what do expect? I particularly liked the scenes where HAL interacted with the humans, as well as the unique shots to show they were in space. (Like having one actor sitting a seat while another walks on the wall next to him) That sort of thing wasn't easy to do back then. But I will admit that the movie on whole did drag on for a bit too long, and didn't make a lot of sense. It still isn't as bad as you make it out to be though.

    ReplyDelete